Welcome to Ross Valley Fire Department | Emergencies: Dial 9-1-1


Community Education FAQs

Where can I report a leaking fire hydrant?

To report a leaking or otherwise defective fire hydrant contact Ross Valley Fire Department at 415-258-4686 or send an email to info@rossvalleyfire.org with the location and what the problem is with the hydrant.

How can I report fire hazards in my neighbor's yard?

To report hazardous weed and/or rubbish conditions within the Ross Valley Fire Department jurisdiction (Towns of Fairfax, Ross, and San Anselmo and the Sleepy Hollow Fire Protection District), or if you have questions about your own property, contact our Fire Inspectors at 415-258-4673 or 415-258-4674 or send an email to prevention@rossvalleyfire.org  with the specific hazard concerns.

Where can I report suspicious arson activity?

If you have reason to believe that a person is setting a fire or has just set a fire, call 9-1-1 immediately. Be prepared to describe the suspect, including physical features and clothing as well as the location and nature of the suspicious activity.

If you have information regarding a fire that has already occurred and is under investigation, please call 415-258-4686.

I want to be able to help my community in a disaster. What should I do?

You can join Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) to learn how to prepare yourself, your family, and your neighborhood to be self-sufficient during a disaster and to help others who may need it afterward. CERT volunteers receive training in a wide variety of skills and ongoing training to help them make a difference in our community. For more information, go to our CERT page for further information.

Does RVFD have a battery recycling program?

Yes. All Ross Valley Fire Department stations are equipped to take back small quantities of used household batteries, free of charge. Fairfax Town Hall and the CVS at Red Hill Shopping Center also recycle used batteries.

Does RVFD participate in the Safe Baby Haven Program

Yes, RVFD does participate in the Safe Baby Heaven Program.

Can you get my cat out of a tree?

The Fire Department does not assist in rescuing animals. Citizens may contact the Marin Humane Society at 415-883-4621.

Where can I get my blood pressure checked?

At our main station any time between 8:00am and 8:00pm.  At our Ross, Sleepy Hollow or Fairfax Stations after 5:00pm or whenever the engine and personnel are in quarters.

Where can I bring my expired medication for disposal?

Medicines play an important role in treating many conditions and diseases, but when they are no longer needed it’s important to dispose of them properly to avoid harm to others. Due to disposal regulation requirements Ross Valley Fire Department cannot accept Sharps or expired medication.  County of Marin provides a list of medication and medical waste disposal sites for Marin residents.  Click here for details.

What other responsibilities do firefighters have other than fighting fires?

Emergency calls represent only a portion of the work of a typical fire department in Ross Valley. The number of residential and commercial fires has steadily decreased over the years due to a variety of factors including improvements in construction, a greater public awareness of the risk factors leading to fires and a significant reduction in smoking nationwide. Fires, however, are only some of the emergencies to which the Fire Department responds.

Nearly eighty percent of the Fire Department's emergency responses are, in fact, calls for medical aid, including illness/accidents at home and work, and injuries resulting from vehicle crashes.

Other calls for emergency response involve hazardous materials releases, technical rescues, response to fire alarms and other calls for public assistance. Firefighters also spend much of their time maintaining equipment, doing routine public safety inspections for businesses and apartment complexes, training for all types of emergency responses and completing the reports and paperwork associated with these activities.

How do I sign up for a CPR class?

Ross Valley Fire Department does not offer CPR training directly.  Please visit the American Heart Association to locate a course and training center to obtain a CPR card.

Does RVFD offer First Aid classes?

Ross Valley Fire Department does not currently offer First Aid classes. For a complete list of agencies that do, visit Marin County Emergency Medical Services Agency.

What should I do during an earthquake?

If you are indoors, stay there. Get under a desk or table, or crouch down along an inside wall or hallway. If you are outdoors, get into an open area away from trees, buildings, walls and power lines. If you are driving, pull your car to the side of the road and stop. Avoid overpasses or power lines. Remain inside until shaking is over. If you are in a high rise building, stay away from windows and outside walls. Get under a table. Do not use elevators.

Our Mission

To protect the lives, property and environment of Ross, San Anselmo, Sleepy Hollow and Fairfax through education, prevention and community service in a professional and caring manner that is fair, honest, respectful and ethical.

Contact Us

Ross Valley Fire Department
777 San Anselmo Avenue
San Anselmo, CA 94960 USA
Tel: (415) 258-4686

For Emergencies, Dial 9-1-1