Town municipal codes requires a Resale Inspection on any single family dwelling listed for sale within the Towns of Fairfax and San Anselmo. Resale Inspections are not required on condominiums or town homes, unless the complex is being sold. These inspections are performed by Ross Valley Fire Department personnel, and cost $50.00. To schedule an inspection, you must visit our administrative office during business hours, Monday through Thursday, 8:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 5:00pm. The administrative office is closed on weekends and holidays.
The Resale Inspection is an exterior inspection of the residence required to ensure compliance with state law and local ordinances. We do not require an appointment time to perform the inspection as we do not enter the residence. If you would like to meet with the inspector, please request an appointment at the time you apply for the inspection, and the inspector will contact you to schedule a time.
The Inspector will be looking for the following items during the inspection:
- Maintenance of defensible space for a distance of 100 feet (or to the property line). This includes clearance of all combustible vegetation, dead limbs, fallen leaves and needles.
- Any tree limbs extending within 10 feet of the outlet of a chimney.
- Maintain trees adjacent to or overhanging a building free of deadwood.
- Numbers or address shall be placed in such a position as to be plainly visible and legible from the street or road fronting the property. Such numbers shall contrast with their background and be at least four inches in height (an address number painted on a curb is not acceptable).
- Flammable vegetation must be cleared within 10 feet of roadway and 14 feet overhead.
- A spark arrestor of heavy wire mesh or other non-combustible material with openings between 3/8 and 1/2 inch.
Please Note: although not part of the Resale Inspection, the property's fire road access and water supply will also be reviewed.